Thursday, June 11, 2009

Big Bad Biopsy


It has taken me almost a week to write this post about my abnormal biopsy.  Please forgive me in advance for the length of this post but a little background is needed.  IVF #1 we had 6 lovely embryos and due to my age (40 at the time) Dr. Terrific decided we should put them all back.  After the long TTW (two weeks wait) we got a BFN (big fat negative).  We decided to move forward with IVF #2 but this time we were going to do PGD (genetic) testing on the embryos.  We had 12 embryos that made it to day 3 and only 2 that tested normal.  We put these 2 back with high hopes and got another BFN.  At this point my Dr. Terrific decided we should do a biopsy of my lining to see if maybe that was the problem.  I did and EFT (endometrial function test) which is sent to Harvey Kliman at Yale Medical Center.  This test the endometrium’s potential to support implantation.  Mine came back abnormal.  The treatment for this was one Lupron Depot shot once a month for three months.  This is not to be confused with regular Lupron.  The Lupron Depot was heavy duty and sends you into menopause.  I now know what I have to look forward to when I get older and it isn’t going to be pleasant.  BTW I did the menopause during the summer.  Hot flashes in 90 degree temperatures are not a good thing.


After the 3 months we immediately did IVF #3.  This cycle looked promising.  I had 28 eggs retrieved, 19 were mature, and 14 were fertilized.  We immediately froze 7 and did PGD testing on the remaining 7.  All came back abnormal.  That was a shocker.  The next month we thawed out the 7 we had left and 5 made it through the thaw.  We did PGD testing on those and an even bigger shocker all were abnormal.  I was devastated to say the least.  I picked myself up and started doing regular weekly acupuncture (I had been doing it but only for a few weeks before each cycle).  I decided to give that 3 months and then move forward to IVF #4. 


 In March 2009 I did IVF #4.  My plan was to do PGD testing and then immediately freeze the embryos so that I could repeat the biopsy the following month.  The PGD yielded 2 normals and 1 that “appears to be normal”.  I was so happy until I spoke to the embryologist and found out that 2 of the 3 were slow growers and probably would not survive.  That basically left us with ONE good/normal embryo.  I moved forward with the biopsy and decided to do one FINAL IVF to try to get at least one more good/normal embryo so that we could put back 2 normals.   

Then the bomb dropped when the biopsy came back abnormal.  I have to admit I wasn’t totally surprised but I guess I didn’t realize the impact of what this meant.  Dr. Terrific said we could do one of three things.  1.  Nothing and put back the embryos.  2. Mock transfer cycle with medicines and repeat the biopsy to see if that makes a difference.  3.  Use someone else’s uterus (a surrogate).  WHAT?  I don’t want to use someone else’s uterus.  I want to use mine!  I want mine fixed.  If only it were that easy. 


 I have decided after IVF# 5 that I will be choosing option #2.  There will be more to follow on this subject as time progresses.  I do apologize for the length of this post but now everyone is caught up.


No comments:

Post a Comment